The total amount of greenhouse gases produced to directly and indirectly support human activities, usually expressed in equivalent tons of carbon dioxide (CO2).
CAUSES OF CARBON FOOTPRINT
When fossil fuels are combusted, the carbon stored in them is emitted almost entirely as CO2.
The three main sectors that use fossil fuels are:
- Utilities (power, gas, oil etc…)
- Industrial production
The following steps have been broadly outlined for reducing carbon footprint:
- To determine current levels of carbon footprint
- To identify high levels of CO2 emissions in terms of energy consumption
- Where possible switching over to renewable sources for electricity
- Optimizing energy efficiency, to reduce CO2 emissions
- Identify solutions to neutralize CO2 emissions that cannot be eliminated by energy saving measures